No one should use paraffin wax and after you read this article you will understand why.

Pass on the Paraffin
Many commercial candles are made from paraffin. It seems innocent enough–it’s what candles are made from, right? But what’s lesser known is that paraffin is actually the grayish-black sludge that oozes from the backside of the petroleum refineries. It’s bleached, texturized with a carcinogenic product called acrolyn, then chemically colored and artificially scented.

If that’s not enough to turn you off dollar-store deals, the grime on your walls may be. Paraffin burns with a black soot that coats your walls and household furnishings–not to mention your lungs. The Agricultural Engineering Department at Purdue University issued a report a few years ago stating that “Paraffin contains aromatic compounds, which are released when candles are burned, that are detrimental to health”. Also, some candle makers use lead or zinc to make the wicks rigid. When burned, these carcinogens fill the room with toxins which coat the walls, furniture and the inside of your lungs. Breathing the fumes from burning paraffin candles is essentially the same as breathing the exhaust fumes from a diesel engine while having your mouth close to the muffler. Not something you would want burning inches from you!
Oxana Star

Cleary, R. Fragrant Candles. Sally Milner Publishing. Australia, 1997. Hopkins, C. Principles of Aromatherapy. Thornsons Harper Collins. San Francisco, 1996.

Beeswax is the only fuel known to science that releases a negative ion as it burns. Beeswax candles actually clean the air when burned. The negative ions produced, circulate in the room and attract pollutants. As the candle burns, the pollutants are converted through the flame. When beeswax burns, it produces a multilevel vibration that calms the inner senses. This vibration can be observed within the glowing halo surrounding the flame. Negative ions are proven to eliminate dust, pollen, mold, bacteria, smoke, food odor and pet dander, as well as airborne germs and bacteria. These ions are nature’s way of cleaning up man’s pollution. They are a fundamental aspect of our planet’s survival and are found in high concentrations in several ecological areas like mountain regions, seashores, waterfalls, and oceans. Electrical storms and rainfall also release a tremendous amount of negative ions. They help alleviate asthma and allergies and invigorate the most basic cells of the human body. Beeswax also promotes healthier and less fitful sleep and dream patterns.

So as you can tell, paraffin candles are and/or could be extremely dangerous to your health. I won’t even go into a church that has them burning because my health is valuable to me. Still want to buy the less expensive paraffin candles? *S*

Another thought about the different types of wax; a votive paraffin candle cost about $1.50 and a beeswax candle costs about $2.50. It may be a dollar more, but the paraffin burns about 6 hours and the beeswax about 9-12 hours. So makes more sense for health and economically to get the beeswax. So please do not buy paraffin candles. The way you tell the difference is if the candles don’t say beeswax then they are probably paraffin.

Now you have had your candle lesson for the day. *G*

If you are seeking more information about this you can do a search for beeswax vs paraffin or go to:

Are Your Candles Killing You?
From Cathy Wong, N.D., Your Guide to Alternative Medicine.

Beeswax Vs Paraffin Wax – Which is Better?

By Courtney Findlay



Scroll to Top